Using Google Maps to promote your business
Google Maps can be used by your business to reach new customers who are already searching for the products or services you offer. By listing your business for free on Google maps you are making it easier for customers to find you on Google search and Google Maps. As well as adding your business address on Google maps you can also add further information such as hours of operation and even coupons to print out and take to the shop to encourage purchase.
How a customer finds you on Google is simple:
1. People search for products in your area
2. Find your local listing
3. And connect to your business
How to get your business listed on Google Maps
- Go to www.maps.google.com
- Click on ‘put your business on Google Maps’
- If you have a Google account log in with your username and password if not click on ‘create a new Google account’ and follow the instructions
- Once logged into your account click ‘add new business’
- Fill out your business information as directed and you location should be marked on the map to the right. There is an option at the bottom to fix an incorrect market location if necessary. You can also upload photos and videos, specify categories, payment options, provide business hours etc.
- Google Maps are interactive and very user-friendly. Users can easily get directions to your business from their chosen location making it easy for customers to reach your business from wherever they are travelling from.
- There is also a ‘search nearby’ feature which enables users to search for items near to your location such as hotels, restaurants, cinemas, etc.
- Google Maps can also be used to map itineraries such as bike rides, walking tours, trip itineraries etc.
To create a new map
- Log into your Google account
- Click on ‘My Maps’ then ‘create new map’
- Give your map a title and description
- Click on add a placemark logo and place it on the map at first point of itinerary. Add title and descriptor of placemark
- To locate a placemark on the map simply enter the location in the search bar then click search and the results should mark the location on the map
- Repeat this process for next placemark
- To link placemarks click on draw a line and follow the instructions
- Repeat this process to map all of your itinerary
- You can print off your itinerary or email it to friends
- To add the map to your company website click on ‘link’ in top right hand corner and paste HTML to embed in website